Our volunteer-run Thrift Shop is a happening place with bargains galore! Launched in 1990, we collect used clothing and some household items for sale to families in the community. Serviceable clothing not sold is distributed to First United Church and other charitable organizations.
HOURS: The Thrift Shop is open to the public on Thursdays from 2:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. NEW HOURS as of March, 2014: Thursdays from 11 am - 8 pm.
Donations are gratefully accepted Monday through Wednesday and Fridays from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Thursdays from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
VOLUNTEERS: We are always looking for volunteers to sell, price and sort donated items. Please contact the office at (604)929-1336.
We appreciate the donation of clean and re-saleable items such as:
Men's, ladies and children’s clothing and shoes, toys, jewelry, books, bicycles, handbags, small safe working appliances, household items, art & pottery, linens, yarns and fabrics
We DO NOT accept:
- bicycle helmets, older cribs & car seats because of safety standards,
- beds, televisions and furniture because of limited space *
- We are unable to resell computers, exercise equipment, skis and ski boots.
*Contact Suzanne Sawyer at Shelter to Home at 778.331.8465 if you have furniture to donate.
The Thrift Shop is many faceted:
- It is an outreach to our community
- It is environmentally friendly – recycled articles!
- 20% of money raised goes to our Mission Church, First United, in the Downtown Eastside
- The balance of dollars raised goes to general revenue of Mount Seymour United Church
Unsold items are donated to charities such as:
- First United Church
- Women’s Crisis Centre
- Diabetes Association
- Developmental Disabilities Association
- Several schools in low-income areas